Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Late Nighter

Rescued what could have been an entirely wasted bank holiday weekend by going to the Natural History Museum with Troy, to look at the Wildlife Photography of the Year exhibition. Was very very very busy, of course, but totally worth it. There was one photo by Chris Packham. Hubba!! Then we went to see "Lars and the Real Girl"which was a completely unexpected treasure. I kinda thought a film about a loner falling in love with a sex doll might be full of cheap laughs, but it was actually very sweet. You had to slightly suspend your disbelief but, if you went with the flow, it was hugely moving, and I had to hold back the old tears on more than one occasion. Strongly recommended!

Troy was very good company, of course, and we discussed the usual old subjects: our attempts at adult learning, and the wonderful world of singledom. I mentioned the fact that I have embarked (very tentatively) on the murky world of internet dating. It came about as I whiled away yet another dull weekend, and decided that I couldn't just let life pass me by any longer...

The result was frankly frightening, as I suddenly started getting "winks" from all sorts of interesting characters. Clearly "fresh meat" (Troy's term but very apt) get a lot of attention, when they register, from all the undoudtedly disreputable characters that hang out on these sites hoping for cheap sex. Still, once I'd got over the panic of various weird faces and profiles popping up and haranguing me, I started to enjoy gawping at some of the odd bods who had taken an interest. I have put a reasonably pleasant but true-to-life photo of myself on my profile (no make-up, glasses on etc) as I think people might as well see me as I am, but some blokes clearly don't have any quality control on their own profiles ... I mean they don't seem to mind that their photos make them look like serial killers!! Is there seriously any need for extreme close-ups of crumply old faces, or your eyes pointing in different directions, or wearing dark glasses and a wig?!? And no, I am not going to respond to a 49-year calling himself BIGBOIJESUS#1 or some such crap. Ha ha ha ha ha.

As I trawled through the ranks of winking romeos, I realised that my absolute worst nightmare would be sombody I knew finding my personal ad or, in fact, vice versa. Just as this horrible thought crossed my mind, I practically choked on my bass shandy as I noticed that someone had just winked at me, giving their location as a VERY SMALL village which is home to practically the entirety of my mother's family. There was no photo on the profile, only a username which had heavy metal leanings. That certain members of my mother's family (married, quite a close blood relative, but of exactly the right age) are quite into heavy metal and live in said VERY SMALL village suddenly made me feel quite sick. It is perfectly possible that it is some random person who is unknown and unrelated to me but I did have the very queasy thought that one of my cousins might be trying to pull me, or take the piss out of me, on the internet. I am sure it is a coincidence but with no photo to prove it, I might never know... the curious part of me wants to email this person to find out for sure, but the sensible part of me knows that that is a very stupid plan. Either I would accidently embark on incestuous internet flirting, or I would let on to a stranger from my family's village that I'm a loner dredging for a date over the internet, news that I've no doubt would spread faster than wildfire to my entire family via the village grapevine, much to their great amusement and my humiliation.

Oh dear. I might regret this! But I'll let you know.... anyway it is really past my bedtime, and suck suck suck I have to go to work tomorrow. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home