Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Two-Bit News

Well, just when the day couldn't get any better, the hospital rang up to tell me that a slot for surgery had come up for tomorrow and could I make it in? Talk about short bleeding notice. I asked the nice lady how long it would take to recover, and she said four weeks. Apologies for all the italics here but I was a little shocked. I thought a day or two of whimpering on the sofa ought to be sufficient. So I broke the news to my work colleagues who were suitably sympathetic, but will surely be cursing my name tomorrow when they see the stack of half done work I've left them to do. Luckily my boss is on holiday so I didn't have to witness a nervous break down in progress. Oh dear. What timing.

I'm not the sort to get nervous about going under the knife, but the thought of staying overnight in hospital doesn't fill me with joy either. I know too much about the way they're run these days to rest truly easy. But such is life, and some prodding and poking is essential to stop the innards falling apart. And the time off work. Now that has got to be a good thing ... Mrs Pedro has already been discussing the daytime TV schedule with me, to make sure I don't waste any precious hour that could be spent watching a repeat of ER or Deal or No Deal.

The biggest worry has to be that I've got a front row ticket for Seth Lakeman this coming Sunday. I'm sure I will be well enough (I WILL be well enough) but possibly I won't be able to jig along as merrily as I would wish to. Poor show. But I can be comforted by the good news that the Devon Nerd Boy will be supported by none other than Mr Teddy Thompson for his autumn tour. Two "folk" idols one night. Bluddy brilliant!

Now off to pack my little bag of jim-jams and pants and other essential things, and to begin my fast. Blurggghh. I wonder if anyone will bring me grapes. Naz offered but I put him off by telling him I was having my eye removed. He's a little squeamish...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home