Sunday, February 18, 2007

Gone to 'Nam

Spent my Saturday evening down the pub, watching Manure vs. the Mighty 'Ding. It started off scrappy, slowly but surely turning into a good cup tie. I could watch Ronaldo missing that sitter on a loop, and happily (despite the pub being not in 'Ding town) I was clearly not the only one that found it amusing, the place positively ringing with laughter at that point, and plenty of cheering to be heard when the lovely Brynjar put away his header to get the draw....

My Manure supporting companion did not find it quite so entertaining. Ha ha ha ha. Alas the evening took a gradual turn for the worse. I had reluctantly agreed to dins at the home of said companion. I was always on thin ice, as he had previously made his feelings about me clear. I've been equally honest to him, but value his friendship greatly, so thought I should say yes, to prove my point about us being 'cool' with each other. He made a lot of effort. It was nice. But it got to that stage (post a couple of glasses of wine) when I needed to go home. He didn't want me to go. I said I had to. He said he only wanted someone to drink with, for the evening. I said let's not cross any lines. He said what lines?? He did puppy dog eyes. I felt like a heartless bitch. You get the picture. You couldn't wish to meet a lovelier man, a complete gentleman, but am very very determined not to go there, just for the sake of flattering myself. Arrgg.

So I found myself sitting on a bus, faintly drunk, feeling guilty, staring out the window at the delights of a midnight Tottenham (or the 'Nam as I prefer to call it). Tottenham is like heaven and hell. As you admire the grand architecture, and amazing glimpses of an old and untouched London, you are also desperately trying to avoid eye contact with the proper hard-asses that stalk the streets, music booming (no we don't all actually want to listen your shit Hip Hop thanks). You hear every language, and every kind of face, and realise that you are the minority here. This would be by-the-by, if you didn't get the distinct impression you're passing through a kind of ghetto. I wonder how long it will be until the 'Nam gets gentrified, and the ghetto gets pushed somewhere else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home