Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What Day Is It??

The fact that I had completely forgotten it is Valentine's Day today goes to show how little I expect from it! I am actually feeling fairly contented, and haven't yet tired of the song that is whirling about in my head at the moment (well one line of a song), which I sat listening to at my Old Ma and Pa's place on Sunday morning, as I was sewing up my granddad's trousers, and watching the spadgers (that's dad-speak for sparrows) squabbling outside. I hear it is lame to quote song lyrics (via Choc Chip via Monky), but I don't see the difference from poetry and I do that all the time! It is from an Appalachian / British folk song called 'Come All You Fair and Tender Ladies', and I've been listening to it on the album 'Scalene' by Sandra and Nancy Kerr and James Fagan. It's a really nice album, including some great Australian songs, and the front cover is hilarious - with their multi-coloured woollen outfits, and thoughtful poses, they could not be more stereotypical folkies if they tried!

I wish I were a little sparrow,
And I had wings and I could fly,
I'd fly away to my own false lover,
And when he's talking I'd draw nigh,

But I am not a little sparrow,
I have no wings, nor can I fly,
I'll sit right here, and weep in sorrow,
And try to pass my troubles by.

Talking of which, I love the little spadgers, but no matter what I put out in the garden (peanuts, seeds, bread and the holy grail of spadger-food fat balls) they will not be tempted in.... anyone got any helpful hints??

2 Comments:

Blogger oh crapola said...

i deny saying that it is lame to quote song lyrics, i actually believe the opposite!

if one more person asks if i got anything special today i may lamp them.

6:22 pm  
Blogger TheMightyDing said...

To be fair, I think you wrote on your old blog that Monky said it was lame to quote songs, so you were merely the messenger!

4:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home