Monday, June 09, 2008

The African Queen

So I spent most of this weekend boating with MG. In what must count as one of the most superb impulse purchases of all time, MG (and his housemate) bought themselves a floating caravan... and MG kindly invited me on board as "cabin crew".

I think I can safely say that, after drifting along a leafy river in Surrey, crashing into a lock (MG was driving), getting actually stuck in a lock, sipping Pimms floats endlessly, and many more earthly pleasures beside, that I am now at the MOONY stage with MG. He is little and cute and endured my front-seat driving, general fear of the sun, general fear of speed and gear changes, and super-chavvy shorts (purchased in Primark minutes before he picked me up) with great grace. I also had a "little word" with him about the fact that we had, in my opinion, reached the stage where I expected him to "stick around", which he answered quickly and (most importantly) correctly.

Now, I have that horrible pit-of-stomach feeling, which comes with CARING. I must repeat this mantra to myself "must stay positive, must not fear the worst". Ahhhh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you not know that Primark is now officially known as Primani? I found this out but recently.

I am heartened to read that your pocket love (sorry!) is turning out bonza... How little is he? Proper small i.e. shorter than your fine tall self? And well done on getting past the 'little word' with a positive outcome... that is always well nerve-wracking- will they meet your hopes or dash them...

I find the best way to cope with the whole caring thing is to repeat over and over to yourself 'he doesn't care', 'he doesn't care' ad infinitum and then mentally withdraw into the trenches. This technique is time tested by myself and usually results in them doing exactly the thing you are steeling yourself against. Probably best not to follow that advice...

Sorry for being so ultra-crap at replying to your email btw... I will get round to that task at some point.

11:44 pm  
Blogger TheMightyDing said...

I sympathise with the "retreating into the trenches" attitude, and that's why I'm trying to avoid it ... I don't want the curse of the self-fulfilling prophecy to creep up on me!

I suppose one really ought to maintain a happy indifference in this situation but, as we all know, this is IMPOSSIBLE. Those who stay "cool" about matters of the heart are a) psychopathic or b) very good actors. And I am neither, I believe.

As for the pocket-sized MG, I'd say he's the same height as me, but perhaps that is giving him the benefit of the doubt!! You can almost certainly judge for yourself, soon enough, as he is planning to join us for a spot of pagan paper-boating...

1:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home