Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Orthodox Jew Mow-Down

As a (just about) dedicated cyclist I have the priviledge of cycling through Stamford Hill every morning and evening, which is a very Orthodox Jewish area. I am not casting racial aspersions here (merely cultural ones) but in Stamford Hill bad Orthodox Jew drivers of the world unite. Jeesus, don't worry about signalling people, or in fact stopping and parking in the middle of the road, or noticing a cyclist in a bright yellow bib cycling directly in front of you. One bearded chap, in particular, seems to have it in for me. This fellow, in his huge silver Volvo, has tried to mow me down on two seperate occasions: once by overtaking me as I was myself overtaking a line of parked cars, and simply pushing me off the road when he (surprise surprise) didn't have enough space. Secondly, overtaking me, and then immediately turning left as if I didn't exist. Luckily I'm not a speedy cyclist otherwise I'd be being peeled off the side of his car as we speak. So silver Volvo-driving Orthodox jew man, if you're wondering why there's a luminescent yellow, red-faced, cursing, gesticulating freak in your mirrors (as if you'd ever look in those, eh?) it's me, and I'm just a tiny bit peeved that you seem intent on trying to kill me!!!!

On the plus side, cycling does appear to be making me fitter (I have an 18 mile round trip each day) if not, sadly, thinner. Also I have started partaking in cycle flirting, which is quite fun. A lovely creature said a cheery "morning" to me yesterday, as I crossed the canal. As I cycled on, I decided to turn my head to get another cheeky look at him, unfortunately losing control of my steering, and veering off the path, as I did. Luckily I wasn't on the road and in the path of a bendy bus, otherwise I could have suffered a self-inflicted cycle flirting-related death.

Also I have been doing some cycling celeb spotting: Simon Pegg (I think) in Finsbury Park, also on a bike and looking very fit (in the toned sense) and John Alford (druggy London Burning idiot) who was in Hampstead, shouting at someone on his phone in a loud cockney-style voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home